I recently discovered the Acai Smoothie Bowl – I know, where have I been hiding – they are trending like crazy! Regardless of my late discovery, I am grateful to have finally become friends with this amazing superfood and this very cool way of transforming your typical smoothie into a bowl of smoothy goodness. I love the presentation of the smoothie bowl too – you get to see your toppings whole in all their glory as opposed to blending them all into one glob.
The acai berry is a pretty powerful dude – it is rich in antioxidants, fiber, omega fatty acids and more. This tropical berry is a delicious Amazonian superfood that is known for its chocolate-y berry flavor and deep purple color – right up there in ranking with the goji berry. One 100g serving contains just 60 calories, 3g fiber, 6% RDA iron, 15% RDA vitamin A, 5,800 ORAC units, 4.58mg heart-healthy omega fatty acids, 0g sugar and zero caffeine or gluten. It also contains various minerals, vitamin C and even some calcium. SUPERFOOD status!!
So here is how one assembles THE Acai Blueberry w/Maca Smoothie Bowl. Of course it’s not really THE – as always – your options are unlimited – this is just my version of a low-sugar Acai smoothie bowl. So many of the bowls trending the web are swimming in fruit – including bananas – which I try to avoid because of the high sugar content. Wild blueberries are lower in sugar content. I too crave the sweet so I use stevia which is just right. I add lots of healthy nuts too – hemp seeds and raw pumpkin seeds – and a heavy sprinkle of unsweetened shredded coconut. The other big star making an appearance is Maca Powder. Truly, this superfood has changed my life. My menstrual cycle has improved dramatically since I have been eating a tablespoon daily 1 week prior to my cycle. My cycle is more regular, less painful, and shorter. Do some research on Maca – It is a healing gem. And it is perfect blended in a smoothie. I highly recommend it based on my personal experience with it.
Sprinkle this beautiful smoothie bowl all over your morning and soak up the divine life energy!
- 2 frozen acai smoothie packs
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk - may need more to get proper consistency
- ⅓ cup frozen wild blueberries
- 1 tablespoon raw organic maca powder
- 1 teaspoon stevia
- Toppings: raw pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, more wild blueberries, unsweetened shredded coconut
- First blend together the acai smoothie packs, coconut milk, stevia, maca powder and frozen blueberries. Blend the ingredients in a high speed blender until creamy, but still very thick and frosty. Add more coconut milk if needed to blend, but add slowly because you want your mixture as thick as possible.
- After your acai is thick, frosty and blended, spoon it into a bowl. Sprinkle with your toppings and eat as soon as possible!