I have a major crush on chili this winter. I am always experimenting with various combinations and improvised my way into what I now consider my Best Vegetarian Chili (yet!!). Read on…
I quickly put this delicious vegetarian meal together (on the fly!) upon returning home from 9 days in sunny Belize. The weather was typical Michigan – snowy, windy, and cold – so I was determined to keep the heat in our nicely tanned bodies. I also wanted a soup with a lot of fresh vegetables since they are hard to come by in Belize.
Enter the Healthy Compromise…lightly processed packaged foods for convenience plus fresh foods – Real Food for the Real World!
I used a couple of hot serrano chili peppers, a delicious and convenient packaged chili seasoning Simply Organic , zucchini, yellow squash, frozen sweet corn, already sliced mushrooms, two types of low-sodium canned beans, and a handful of red lentils for thickening. With unpacking and laundry waiting, I also wanted easy and this chili honestly came together in a matter of minutes! We topped it off with shredded raw cheddar cheese, greek yogurt, green onion, lime juice, and crumbled tortilla chips as we gave huge thanks for our amazing “get-away from conventional Christmas” vacation. Next year…Costa Rica!!!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 serrano chili peppers, diced or to simplify, use a jarred jalapeno
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 1 large yellow squash, chopped
- 1 cup sweet corn (I used organic frozen)
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, pre-sliced
- 28 ounce can of Rotel diced tomatoes
- 1 packet chili seasoning (I used Simply Organic )
- 1 can low-sodium kidney beans drained and rinsed well
- 1 can low-sodium black beans drained and rinsed well
- ½ cup red lentils
- 1 tablespoon vegetable base (Superior Touch Better than Bouillon Vegetable Base)
- 4 cups water
- In a large sauce pan, saute onion and serrano peppers. Add the remaining ingredients stirring well. Bring to a soft boil and reduce heat to low cooking uncovered for 20 minutes or until lentils are tender. Finish with raw cheddar cheese, greek yogurt, green onion, lime juice, and crumbled tortilla chips.