This is one good vegetarian meal. As you know, I am all about healthy, speedy, shortcut versions of recipes. I created this lasagna recipe as a shortcut for traditional lasagna recipes which take tons of precious time to prepare. Did I mention it is divinely delicious? Honestly, it is just as good –if not better- than the version that requires half a day to prepare. And it makes enough for dinner and a couple lunches too. Beautiful.
THE KEY is finding time-saving products that allow you to get a healthy, whole food meal on the table at the end of a busy day, breakfast on the way out the door, or a healthy packed lunch. I start with lightly processed, clean packaged foods with ingredients that you can pronounce (convenient!) combined with fresh foods to create what I call…
A Healthy Compromise – Real Food for the Real World. I am basically a lazy chef – although I LOVE food and cooking – I am not a fan of complicated recipes or elaborate methods of cooking. I want simple and delicious in every bite. The reality is that most of us simply don’t have a lot of free time to spend in the kitchen so convenience is absolutely necessary if we are going to eat healthy, Real Foods.
SHORTCUTS to my best vegetarian lasagna:
- Oven ready gluten-free lasagna
- A store brought jarred pesto
- Hunts NO SUGAR added pasta sauce
- Shredded Italian cheeses
- Packaged and washed spinach.
The only step requiring just a touch of effort is the roasting of the gourmet cherry tomatoes – but that is basically dropping 2 pounds of tomatoes on a roasting pan, drizzling with olive oil, salt, and sliding in a hot oven for 15 minutes – simple! Assemble the lasagna, cover, and bake for 25 minutes while you sit down, breathe, and give thanks for shortcut lasagna!
- 1 can Hunts NO SUGAR pasta sauce
- 1 box gluten-free oven ready lasagna noodles
- 2 pounds gourmet organic or local cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt to taste
- 1 small jar basil pesto
- 1 container organic pre-washed spinach
- 8 ounces organic shredded Italian cheeses
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Spread cherry tomatoes on a large roasting pan, drizzle with olive oil and salt. Roast for 15 minutes
- Decrease oven to 375 degrees
- In a baking dish, spread a layer of the Hunts tomato sauce. Next comes the pasta - overlap the sheets. PLEASE NOTE THE LASAGNA NOODLES DO NOT NEED TO BE PRECOOKED! Spread another layer of the Hunts sauce then half the pesto, a thick layer of spinach, half the cheese, and half the roasted cherry tomatoes. Repeat. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10-15 minutes before cutting. If you have a basil plant sitting around ,clip a few leaves to garnish. Enjoy - simple and outstanding flavor.