You know one of my very favorite things to do is sharing healthy food shortcuts with you right! Simple, stress-free cooking is my mantra. Cooking with a slow cooker fits in right nicely with this easy cooking philosophy!
It just doesn’t get any more convenient than this easy slow cooker chili recipe.
Toss all the ingredients in the slow cooker and 4 hours later you have this super delicious lentil chili full of vegetables and beans – rich in slow burning carbohydrates & fiber.
To simplify even more, I used a healthy jarred salsa for the seasoning (Herdez 5 chile salsa) which adds a rich, complex flavor and makes your life so very easy. No individual measuring of spices necessary – all the work is done for you.
I had a bulb of fennel in the frig with no plans so I chopped it up in place of onion in this recipe but onion would be just fine too. Because I was home, I did cook on high for a couple hours – stirring occasionally- before reducing to low to cook another couple hours. If you plan to be away during the day, cook the chili on low and come home to a spicy and delicious vegetarian meal.
I served it with more Herdez salsa (our absolute favorite store bought salsa), shredded raw cheddar cheese, a dollop of plain greek yogurt, and crumbled organic blue corn chips. Now that is a Healthy Compromise friends! Enjoy.
Use this incredible store bought vegetable base instead of homemade for super easy convenience.
- 1 fennel bulb, core removed and chopped or 1 chopped onion
- 2 large carrots, larger dice - not necessary to remove skins
- 28 ounce can organic diced tomatoes
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 15 ounce can low-sodium kidney beans - no need to drain
- ⅓ cup Herdez 5 chile salsa (or more if you desire spicy)
- 1-2 cups water - based on your thickness desire
- 1 tablespoon vegetable base - I use a handy jarred version
- Finish with more jarred salsa, raw/and or organic shredded cheese, plain yogurt, and crumbled organic blue corn chips
- Combine all the ingredients in crockpot and mix well. Cook on high for 3 hours stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and cook another 2 hours. Alternative: cook on low all day. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, a dollop of plain greek yogurt, more salsa, and crumbled organic blue corn chips. It's just that easy!!