White pasta is one of those starchy, fast burning carbohydrate comfort foods I tend to limit. Occasionally I will indulge and, when I do, I combine it with healthy fats, vegetables, and protein to balance out the carbohydrate.
This is a super easy vegetarian pasta that comes together quickly and bakes off in the oven while you have yourself a seat. I love cooking with frozen tortellini because it only takes minutes to cook and it is easy and simple – my kitchen mantra!!!
In the veggie department, I used sugar snap peas, broccoli, mushrooms, sweet cherry tomatoes, and red pepper but do experiment…asparagus, artichoke, spinach or arugula are all good spring options. Heck, if you are really wiped out at the end of a busy day, even a bag of organic mixed frozen vegetables will do the trick. Frozen veggies are better than no veggies at all!!! It’s all about compromising and getting realistic (who has the time to cook from scratch? ). Take advantage of the huge selection of shortcuts out there on the market now … healthy + convenient = a BIG win for you!
If you are not a fan of gorgonzola cheese, substitute feta or even omit the added cheeses completely. The cream cheese is enough to hold it together. Looking for dairy-free? Substitute a vegan cream cheese and a non-dairy milk.
I hope you gobble up this easy vegetarian meal and enjoy every bite! Happy cooking to you – preparing food is an act of love – sprinkle it on liberally!!!
- 9 ounce package of refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup baby portabello mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup sweet cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ½ a red pepper, large dice
- ½ cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese (or substitute feta cheese)
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese (or substitute a vegan cream cheese)
- 1 tablespoon shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ a lemon, juice squeezed
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook tortellini according to package directions, adding sugar snap peas and broccoli for the last 2 minutes of cooking - drain.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms - cook about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet.
- In a screw-top jar or blender combine broth, milk, flour, oregano, basil, rosemary, pepper flakes, and garlic salt. Cover and shake or blend until smooth. Add to the same skillet. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add cream cheese; cook and stir until smooth. Remove from heat - stir in lemon juice.
- Stir tortellini mixture, mushrooms, broccoli, snap peas, tomatoes, red pepper, and gorgonzola into cream cheese mixture. Spoon into an ungreased baking dish. Bake, covered, about 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and LOVE!!