These cookies fit in paleo, gluten-free, and vegan shoes. That’s a whole lot of accommodation going on in one simple and healthy cookie. However, the absence of all these offenders (flour, gluten, dairy) does not at all reflect an absence of sweet flavor. These cookies are delicious! Making your own nut butter is satisfying too. If you don’t want to be bothered with it, you can easily substitute a store bought nut butter – peanut, cashew, or almond. If you have it in you to make your own, the cost savings is huge. I bought a 16 ounce bag of cashews for around $6 which produced a heaping cup of cashew butter. Basically, you pour the nuts in a food processor and run it for about 5 minutes until smooth – stopping occasionally to scrape and stir. Please note that the final mixture will be soft. Key is freezing the mix for 15 minutes before using an ice cream scoop to drop the balls on a cookie sheet.
The cashews at the beginning of processing
Starting to come together
Here is your homemade nut butter – sweet huh?!!! At this point, if so desired, you could add cinnamon, vanilla, or any number of fancy things (if not using for these cookies)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (canned will work too)
- 1 cup cashew butter (store bought or make your own)
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds (or any nut)
- ⅓ cup coconut shreds (and more for topping)
- ¾ cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ⅓ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- If making cashew butter, empty a 16 ounce bag of cashews in food processor and blend until smooth, stopping to scrape and stir.
- Mix all ingredients, except chocolate chips, nuts, and coconut, and blend until smooth. Add the chocolate, nuts, and coconut and pulse a few times until mixed.
- Place the food processor container in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes or until mixture hardens up enough to scoop. Drop cookies on a lined baking sheet (I used an ice cream scoop). Sprinkle with coconut shreds. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool completely and store in the frig.
- These cookies are soft with a fudge-like texture. Enjoy with a big glass of almond milk. Blessings!!