Have you all tried grilled cabbage? I know it seems odd but it is surprisingly delicious! Thank you to the Food Lab for the inspiration.
And SIMPLE – so much easier than shredding cabbage for a slaw. You don’t even take the core out – leaving it in keeps all the leaves together. Upon serving, do cut off the core so you can get at all those crunchy interior leaves.
The key to getting perfectly grilled cabbage is firing up your grill to a very high temperature and charring all three sides of the wedges (without totally burning them). This takes a bit of attention but certainly not excessive. I used my handy dandy tongs and kept at the flipping until that smoky charred effect developed. Once I reached this point, I placed the wedges on the very outside of the grill where the temperature is lower and continued to cook them for about 15 minutes with the lid closed. This step ensures that the interior is slightly cooked too. Note that the interior will still have a slight crunch to it. This is a wonderful contrast to the sweet charred exterior.
To keep my life simple (you know I LOVE simple right?!!!!!), I finished our grilled cabbage with a bottled Organic VEGAN Blue Cheese dressing – Follow Your Heart…remember to please read those labels carefully: avoid high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, artificial anything, and ingredients you can’t pronounce on the label. This brand passes the test. And it’s absolutely delicious!
I hope you enjoy this unusual recipe for grilled cabbage and my convenient salad dressing suggestion. Keep on cooking!
- 1 green cabbage
- Bottle of Follow Your Heart vegan Blue Cheese dressing
- Preheat your grill to high
- Leaving the core intact, cut the cabbage into 4 wedges.
- Cook the cabbage turning frequently until all three sides are nicely charred
- Move the wedges to the outside of the grill where the temperature is lower
- Cover the grill and cook for about 15 minutes or until inside leaves are slightly cooked. They will still be crunchy
- Before serving, cut the end core off each wedge. Finish with blue cheese dressing