Here is a super quick way to prepare eggplant – get outside and grill it! This grilled eggplant recipe comes in handy when you are looking for a quick vegetarian lunch.
OK, so this is not my typical lunch fare (I am a salad girl!). This is a holiday weekend, make my hubby happy kind of a lunch. In a recent post, I showed you how to make good use of rhubarb in this rhubarb chipotle chutney. This sweet & spicy salsa again makes an appearance in this sandwich – which is so simple to put together (especially if you have a bowl of the leftover chutney in the frig from yesterday!). No rhubarb chutney or time to prepare it? No problem – substitute a spicy mustard – equally delicious! Any bread will do here – I had a loaf of artisan sour dough on hand since I had big plans for a peachy panzenalla salad in the future. (see this recipe)
I ALWAYS have a tub of packaged hummus in the frig. If you have a tub as well, slather it on your bread to begin. If not, grab the mayo – something creamy is what you want. Next up is crispy lettuce – pictured here is romaine. Then comes the cheddar – thick slices! For color and crunch, I included a few red pepper slices. I had an eggplant waiting patiently on the counter for some loving so she received the full grill treatment. And last, but certainly NOT least, spread a bunch of the chutney on top.
Possible shortcuts: As a busy person, shortcuts save the day every time. You can eat well when you incorporate healthy packaged foods with fresh…healthy and convenient is my kitchen mantra!!
- packaged hummus
- prewashed and packaged organic greens
- sliced organic cheese
- spicy mustard instead of the homemade rhubarb chutney
Serve with a tall glass of iced tea and you have yourself a wonderful vegetarian meal.
- 6 thick slices eggplant
- 4 slices sour dough bread
- 6 slices organic cheddar cheese
- 6 slices red pepper
- Romaine lettuce
- 2 tablespoons your favorite hummus
- 2 tablespoons organic mayonaise
- Rhubarb chipotle chutney (see link in post text)
- Enter your kitchen with patience and gratitude!
- Prepare a medium-high charcoal or gas grill fire. Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with olive oil and season with salt. Grill (covered on a gas grill; uncovered on a charcoal grill) until golden-brown grill marks form, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the eggplant and grill until tender and well marked on the second sides, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Toast bread. Assemble your sandwich with remaining ingredients.