I always bring a raw salad to dinner to balance out all the cooked, rich foods and I take a Big helping on my plate – leaving less room for others. I found an Italian Kale mixed greens at Family Fare by Earthbound Farm which has tender kale, peppery arugula, and tangy radicchio. Very nice huh? If you don’t track it down, lacinato or even curly kale will be wonderful. The only other ingredients are pomegranate seeds, roasted pistachios, parmesan cheese, lime juice, olive oil, and sea salt. If you are avoiding dairy, leave out the cheese. Our daughter is lactose intolerant but she is able to enjoy parmesan (and cheddar) cheeses because they are aged longer thus rendering only traces of lactose. I originally planned on pine nuts but passed because those little guys are so expensive. I get shelled & roasted pistachios at Meijers and absolutely love them. While experimenting with this recipe, to make it more substantial for my lunch, I did add a handful of garbanzo beans and chopped celery. Delicious and full of life!
- 5 ounce container Earthbound Farm Organic Kale Italia - kale, arugula, radicchio OR a bunch of lacinato or curly kale
- 3-4 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 2-3 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons roasted & shelled pistachios
- Juice of one lime
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- If using the Earthbound greens, no need to clean. If using other, remove inner stems, cut into small curly strips and wash & rinse well.
- Cut the pomegranate in half and carefully remove all the seeds, discarding the white skin and rinsing well before adding to salad.
- If using the straight kale, place in a bowl and massage with olive oil and lime juice. Add the nuts, cheese, salt, and pomegranate seeds. Toss and serve immediately.
Many blessings to you!