We are vegetarians among carnivores when it comes to the Thanksgiving table. This lentil meatloaf recipe is a wonderful main entree if you don’t eat turkey – of course, as the creator of a vegetarian food website, you would expect that from me! I say it is better than turkey (in soooo many ways!) But of course that is just my humble opinion.
SHORTCUTS: This lentil meatloaf is already pretty simple to prepare but to make it even more convenient…
- Buy microwavable brown rice (an absolute staple in the Healthy Compromise kitchen!).
- Use a microplaner to grate the garlic – much easier than mincing with a knife
- Use a jarred vegetable base – my favorite is Better Than Bouillon
This is the loaf that I will be bringing to our holiday dinner. It is easy. It is tasty. And it can replace turkey anytime! And who would complain about a lentil loaf sandwich the next day?!! Not me. I plan on making this loaf the day before and popping it in the oven to reheat. This provides the added advantage of allowing the loaf to firm up even more; however, it was very firm after resting for about 20 minutes. Slather your loaf with vegan mushroom gravy and praise the beauty of whole vegetarian food. Many blessings to you.
- 1½ cups brown lentils
- 3½ cups water or vegetable broth
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups precooked brown rice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 1-2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire
- ¼ cup ketchup - more to top the loaf
- Honor this food - appreciate its life-giving energy
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large soup pot, simmer the lentils in water or vegetable broth until cooked, about 30 minutes. Drain thoroughly then mash the lentils until they are half mashed.
- Saute the onions and garlic in olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until soft.
- In a medium bowl, combine the lentils, cooked brown rice, onion mixture, poultry seasoning, salt, worcestershire, ketchup, rosemary, and eggs.
- Gently press the mixture into a lightly greased loaf pan
- Cook for 1 hour. Remove from oven and brush with additional ketchup. Cook 10 more minutes.
- **LET THE LOAF REST FOR A MINIMUM OF 20 MINUTES TO FIRM**
- Blessings to you!