This quinoa veggie burger makes a wonderful addition to a vegetarian meal. Gorgeous too! The beautiful red comes from the grated beets and the red quinoa and the unique flavor is middle eastern inspired – white beans, tahini, lemon, and garlic. Yes, they do resemble beef patties but, trust me, they are worlds and worlds away from a burger! I originally experimented with a vegan version which sadly crumbled; however, once the egg (and breadcrumbs) met the others in the mix, we had harmony! Sorry vegans.
And please don’t toss out these beautiful beet greens – wash them well, briefly saute and serve with the patties. Another serving of greens is always desirable for the old body right?!
Cooking quinoa does not have to be a dreaded task. I know I avoided it for years thinking it was just too much hassle. But it can be a really joyful experience if you focus on the nutritional properties, the high protein, and the numerous delicious ways to use it up. You will have leftovers so toss it in your lunch salad or use it in your stir-fry instead of rice. Or check out my recipe for Roasted Spring Vegetables, Quinoa, & Goat cheese. Follow this link to read my fool-proof directions for getting perfectly cooked quinoa every time…cooking quinoa.
No time for cooking quinoa from scratch? (I often don’t!). Grab a container of microwavable quinoa and make it a quick vegetarian recipe..it’s a Healthy Compromise!
- Buy a bag of already grated carrots (preferably organic)
- Buy a jar of chopped garlic
- Grab yourself an organic bottle of salad dressing to use as a dip for these quinoa veggie burgers. There are many bottled salad dressings on the market now that are actually quite healthy – no high fructose corn syrup, saturated or hydrogenated fats, and lower sodium contents.
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS check the label before purchasing any product – in today’s world we must be diligent detectives to protect our health. For a comprehensive presentation of the whole foods diet and the science behind it, check out anything by Mark Hyman – I am currently devouring his “The Ultra-Metabolism” book and highly recommend it to you.
Happy EASY cooking to you!
- QUINOA VEGGIE PATTIES
- 1 beet
- 1 carrot
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- ½ cup canned baby butter beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 egg
- ½ cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 3-5 cloves garlic chopped
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- Enter your kitchen with patience and gratitude for this life-giving food!
- Grate the beet and carrot into a large mixing bowl with the cooked quinoa.
- In food processor, add beans, tahini, garlic, lemon, and tamari. Process until smooth. Beat the egg in a small bowl. Add the egg, the bean mixture, and the bread crumbs to the quinoa and mix with your hands. Taste for salt & pepper.
- Shape mixture into small patties
- In a large skillet - preferably non-stick - heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add patties and lower heat. Cook slowly about 8 minutes before gently turning to cook the second side.