This here is a vegetarian meal that is overflowing with positive vibes! Bright “noodles” consisting of fresh summer zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, and red pepper are combined with a creamy & savory Macadamia nut based sauce. I limit my processed carbohydrates so this is a wonderful alternative to traditional pasta which has a high glycemic index – higher GI foods are broken down into sugar quickly and contribute to spiked insulin (which in turn results in weight gain and a host of other health problems). Sadly, regular pasta is not a real whole food so be smart and limit.
No fancy tools are needed for this easy zucchini pasta recipe – I simply used a vegetable peeler. If you do own one of those fancy cutting tools, go for it. I am all about simple. In a matter of a few minutes, I peeled off my veggie noodles and blended up this Alfredo sauce. The sauce is a delight – with just the right amount of spice and a perfect creaminess to compliment the crisp vegetables. If you are a planner, do soak the nuts for added nutrition. If not, A-ok! Finish her off with fresh basil and any other herbs you have hanging around. I sprinkled our fettuccine with a heavy hand of chopped raw cashews – but pine nuts or more macadamia nuts would also be divine. Truly a summer meal to stand up and applause for! (recipe adapted from Vegan Fusion World Cuisine)
You are going to love this summer recipe. It’s raw – it’s vegan – its incredibly wholesome and healthy – and it’s quick and easy (yes!!!!). Sprinkle it with love and soak up the goodness.
Blessings and happy cooking to you!
- 1 small purple carrot, thinly julienned or grated
- 1 small orange carrot, thinly julienned or grated
- 1 large zucchini, thinly julienned
- 1 large yellow squash, thinly julienned
- 1 red pepper, thinly julienned
- ¾ - 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (or water if a thinner sauce is desired)
- 1 cup soaked (soaking optional) macadamia nuts
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons shoyu or soy sauce
- 1½ teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- GARNISH: fresh basil and any other herbs, crushed nuts
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a blender and blend well until smooth. May need to add more liquid to get desired consistency. Combine all pasta ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- On individual plates, pour a layer of sauce then top with noodles. Garnish with herbs and nuts.