This main course salad is a winner! If you are looking to WOW your guests, make this and expect to be loved! The presentation is beautiful, the flavors are amazing, and it is bursting with nutrition and out of this world life-energy – Vegetarian food at its best!
When you break down the recipe into steps, it’s really not that difficult to master. Cook up a pan of lentils – I always make extra to use throughout the week. Cook up a pan of garbanzo beans – again, make extra for the future – or open up a can to be speedy about it. Roast your asparagus and cherries in hot oven. Mince the shallot, garlic, and rosemary and mix in the beans, yogurt, and vinegar. Pull out your prettiest platter and line it with a mix of radicchio and butter lettuces. Next up the bean mixture, then the roasted asparagus/cherries, and finally a heavy sprinkle of feta cheese. Garnish with more rosemary and salt & pepper. Taste for seasoning – I added more balsamic vinegar to finish. Almost too pretty to eat? Eat anyway – and enjoy!
- 20 spears asparagus
- 20 cherries
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 2 tablespoons shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons low-fat greek yogurt
- 2-3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 3-4 ounces feta cheese
- 2 cups mixed lettuce - radicchio & butter
- Lentils - bring water to boil and add 2 cups lentils - return to boil then lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. (Store extra lentils in frig for future use). Use 1 cup in salad
- Chickpeas - bring water to boil and add 2 cups beans - return to boil then lower heat and cook for 45-50 minutes or until tender. (store extra beans in frig for future use). Use 1 cup in salad.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Place asparagus and cherries on tray and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt. Cook for 7-8 minutes.
- In mixing bowl, combine lentils, chickpeas, garlic, shallot, yogurt, vinegar, rosemary, olive oil and salt/pepper.
- Line a platter with the lettuces. Spread the bean mixture over the lettuces. Place the asparagus across the beans and scatter cherries around the platter. Crumble feta on top of asparagus. Finish with more rosemary, pepper, and balsamic vinegar.