Not your ordinary salad! This is the type of salad your Grandma didn’t serve up at Sunday dinner (unless she was one of those “cool” grandmas). Sure we all know quinoa is good for us right? We see it all over the internet served up in millions of ways. But WE really do love quinoa – and not just because it is protein and nutrient packed (which it is!!); but because when you mix it with roasted veggies, pistachios, goat cheese, radish, and a tangy ginger dressing, it is absolutely delicious! And beautiful to behold. Let me give you a quick lesson on cooking quinoa. You often see recipes listing a ratio of 2:1 – but I do it a little different and every single time I get dry, perfect quinoa. 1 cup + 2 tablespoons quinoa. 1 & 2/3 cup water. Rinse the quinoa 2-3 times. Bring water to a boil and add quinoa. Bring back to boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cover and walk away. Do not remove lid. Do not stir. After 12-15 minutes, turn off heat. Still no touchie! Let sit 15 more minutes. Then stir with a fork. This will make a big batch of quinoa so store extra in frig for other use.
Roasting the veggies is simple. I crank up the oven to 500, line up my asparagus and sugar-snap peas on a pan, spray with oil and sprinkle with salt, then cook for 11-15 minutes. Please do not overcook the asparagus! While these are roasting, peel your carrot, thinly slice the radish, and mix up the ginger dressing.
In mixing bowl, toss the quinoa, asparagus, peas, radish, and carrot. Mix in some of the dressing and toss. Serve on a bed of arugula or spring greens, top with pistachios, goat cheese crumbles, and finish with more of the dressing. Enjoy! May this salad serve and bless you.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- ½ bunch asparagus
- 1 & ½ cups sugar-snap peas
- 1 carrot, finely peeled
- 2 radishes, finely sliced
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup pistachios
- Small piece ginger (size of pinky nail)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Cook quinoa according to above directions.
- Preheat oven to 500. On large roasting pan, place asparagus and peas, spray with oil and sprinkle with salt. Cook 11-15 minutes. Do not overcook asparagus!
- With a vegetable peeler, do work on your radishes and carrots
- Puree all dressing ingredients in blender until smooth
- In mixing bowl, combine quinoa, asparagus, peas, carrot, radish and some of the dressing.
- Serve a large scoop on an individual plate. Finish with goat cheese, pistachios, more of the dressing, and a huge sprinkle of love!