This is a super easy and delicious recipe for slow cooker taco filling using all whole foods with a few short-cuts along the way. A quick, healthy, everyday vegetarian meal to add to your repertoire.
Short-cut #1: SLOW COOKER. If you are a busy person, a slow cooker is your best friend. Chop up a few vegetables, drop in your ingredients, combine, and cook – unattended by you! UNATTENDED being the key word here.
Short-cut #2: Don’t mess around with peeling the sweet potatoes. Using a stiff brush, simply give them a quick scrub under water. Chopping a sweet potato literally takes a minute – my goal is to offer videos on this site showing you live how quick these cooking tasks can really be with a few tricks I have learned over the years. Stay tuned for my videos!
Short-cut #3: Use low-sodium canned beans. Occasionally I will get my act together and cook a big batch of dry beans to use throughout the week. But my reality dictates that canned beans are more likely.
Short-cut #4: Use a packaged taco seasoning mix. Again, in a perfect world, I would invest in beautiful spices and combine them in a wonderful mix from scratch. In reality, I don’t take the time to do this. I use Simply Organic. Simple.
I know corn tortillas are not high up on the list of healthy choices. Because Michael may be part Mexican (even though his parents never confessed this), we do indulge in corn tortillas. A healthier option found in health food stores, in some large supermarkets, or online is a sprouted tortilla. Food For Life makes a sprouted corn tortilla as does Ezekiel. Food For Life also makes a wonderful brown rice tortilla that is gluten and yeast free.
Eating healthy often involves compromises and I welcome them.
Fresh + Convenient = Your Healthy Compromise.
I hope you enjoy this easy slow cooker taco filling recipe and return to it again and again this fall & winter.
Happy cooking to you!
- 2 sweet potatoes - wash with a stiff brush under water - no need to peel - large dice
- 1 large zucchini - large dice
- 1 green pepper, large dice
- 1 can low-sodium black beans, rinsed
- 28 ounce can of organic diced tomatoes
- 1 package Simply Organic Spicy Taco Seasoning
- 1 cup water
- I like to cut my veggies in larger dice. I don't want a big pile of mushy unrecognizable veggies. Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Mix together well. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Stuff in a tortilla with fresh greens, cilantro, salsa, and chopped red onion. Good with avocado too.
- Makes wonderful leftovers.