Several months ago when our daughter Olivia was food tested and put on a strict diet, we all buckled down and modified the foods we prepared and served to her – including her stepmother, Natasia. I am so grateful for her cooperation with Olivia’s diet – especially considering she has 5 other children to feed. Upon returning last weekend from her Dad’s house, Olivia was absolutely raving about this “special” casserole Natasia made for dinner. I, of course, immediately texted her for the recipe and here it is – a slow cooker full of delicious and healthy ingredients with just the right spice to make it all very interesting. Normally I modify a recipe but this is one I created exactly as is and we are looking forward to making it again exactly as is.
I am calling it the quickest vegetarian enchilada casserole. Ever. This is the type of food that totally exemplifies what I teach on this site…lightly processed packaged food plus fresh = A Healthy Compromise. Add the slow cooker into the mix, and you have yourself one incredibly delicious and convenient vegetarian meal my friend! Real-Whole Foods for the Real World – don’t you love that?!!!
Top your vegetarian enchilada casserole with a dollop of Greek yogurt, raw shredded cheddar cheese, and a squeeze of lime. Leftovers? Roll in a burrito, stuff in a taco or thin into a soup. This is a keeper!
- 4 med sweet potatoes diced - no need to peel, use a brush to remove spots if needed
- 2 cloves garlic, grated with your handy dandy microplane
- 1 cup rinsed uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup of frozen organic corn
- 1½ cups low-sodium canned black bean
- 1½ cups vegetable broth - I use Better Than Bouillon brand
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chillies (Rotel brand!)
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- Serve with Greek yogurt, raw cheddar cheese, lime
- Combine all the ingredients in slow cooker and stir well. Cook on high for 2 hours stirring occasionally or cook on low for 5 hours stirring occasionally. Serve with Greek yogurt, raw cheddar, and a squeeze of lime. Simplicity at it's best!!!