Hello! Much gratitude to you for landing here and taking a minute to connect with me. I really appreciate you!
This vegetarian reuben is a delicious, healthy comfort food and makes for a quick vegetarian meal at the end of a busy day. I find myself craving this type of comfort food often because well, obviously – it gives me a sense of comfort! I look forward to foods that ground me and soften my edges – this warm, toasty, cheesy, savory sandwich gives me all the above.
I cook with tempeh often because it is a great source of fermented food, it easily soaks up the other flavors making it a good base, and it is loaded with protein and fiber. Nestle it between a couple slices of sprouted/gluten-free bread, slather on organic thousand island dressing, a couple slices of organic cheese and finish it with a heavy helping of sauerkraut. Heaven on bread.
Make your life easy (you know by now that my cooking mantra is EASY!) and buy already made kraut. One product I recommend highly is made by a company called cultured love. I met Jodie (the owner) while she was sharing samples at Apple Valley in Holland, MI and I immediately loved her naturally fermented and raw products! If you are not up for making your own kraut, pick up a bag of cultured love and go for the easy reuben!
Thanks again for listening and visiting. If you have any questions this sandwich or anything at all, please feel free to connect with me. I would love that!
- 8 ounces tempeh, sliced in half into two thin cutlets
- Extra virgin olive oil for cooking the tempeh cutlets
- 1 tablespoon Shoyu
- 4 ounces shredded organic cheddar cheese
- 4 slices gluten-free sprouted bread
- Butter for bread
- Bottled organic Thousand Island Dressing - check label carefully for hidden ingredients please!
- A jar of prepared sauerkraut
- Place tempeh cutlets on a plate and sprinkle with Shoyu. Saute in 2 tablespoons of olive oil on each side until golden brown.
- Butter the four slices of bread on one side. Place the buttered side down in a preheated skillet. Place the cheese slices down on the bread, next comes the tempeh. Top with a thick helping of dressing and finish with a heavy hand of kraut. Grill the sandwich on each side until bread is toasted and cheese is melted. Pass more dressing for extra dipping excitement!